Zuster Fox?

Zuster Fox?

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Bikes and Cars Don't Mix!

This week was a bit ridiculous. First, on Monday evening as we were biking through the rain and dark to get to a dinner appointment, I watched my sweet companion get hit by a car while crossing the street! It was pretty intense there, because we weren't sure how badly she was injured or what was wrong. Props to the Dutch people for instantly stopping to help.

The driver stopped and got out to assist, someone else called 911 (or rather, 112), people stopped on their bikes to make sure we were okay... we stood in the rain until an ambulance arrived and loaded her in. Mostly she just had shock and some hard core bruises, but they took her to the hospital anyway to check. I dragged our bikes to the side of the road and locked them, called President Bunnell and a lot of members to let them know, and collected our bags before hopping into the ambulance.

In a moment of peace in her hospital room I knelt by her bed and offered a quick prayer of gratitude that it wasn't worse and a plea that all would be okay- and our prayer was answered. We were really well taken care by the Heerenveen elders who came immediately to give her a blessing and wonderful members who came and drove us home from the hospital. Sister Jaramillo, in the meantime, is so incredible and strong... she was just talking to the doctors and missionaries about the church and who we are as missionaries! The first thing she said to me when she was coherent and in the hospital, when we still weren't sure what was wrong, was "don't worry Sister Voss, no matter what I'll be able to go out and work tomorrow."Talk about the right kind of attitude!

I had a hard time sleeping that night and was troubled by seeing her getting hit by the car- a bit traumatizing! So the next day I received a blessing from Elder Romig at District meeting, and it made a huge difference. I immediately felt comforted, and peaceful. I can testify that the power of the Priesthood is real! I haven't been bothered by those troubling thoughts anymore. Christ's voice is one of comfort and peace.

Verder deze week... I was on exchanges with Sister Bush! That was delightful. She is an amazing missionary and friend. We had a great time teaching, finding, and just working together in general.
All the sisters from our zone at Zwolle station, and a sweet old Dutch lady we invited to join in the picture!
This weekend involved a lot of traveling. On Friday, Zuster Jaramillo went to the temple with a previous companion, so I got to work with one of my favorite people, Sister Hopkin, in Amsterdam! We learned a lot and strengthened each other, saw some awesome little miracles, and I enjoyed soaking in the atmosphere of working in Amsterdam for the first time in my almost 18 months here. It was busy, exciting, but also fun, and full of wonderful, sincere people. Sister Hopkin and I ate traditional ollibollen and worked hard.
Amsterdam Centraal with Zr Jensen!

The next day, Sister Jaramillo needed to attend a baptism in Breda, and we went on split so that I could accompany another sister to a baptism she needed to be at in her previous city, Haarlem. So I went along for the ride, witnessed a beautiful baptism, and again, visited places I had never been to.
Haarlem and Amsterdam for my first time!







We also got to celebrate Sinterklaas this weekend! I finally understand the holiday. Sinterklaas comes in on a boat in the middle of November. While he is here, kids can leave out their shoes any night to receive little presents, but on the last night, December 5th, Sinterklaas and the zwarte pieten deliver sacks full of presents personally to the home. I watched two little kids nervously waiting all night, and then jump up thrilled on "pakjes avond"when Sint arrived! So cute.
Celebrating Sinterklaas!


We celebrated Sinterklaas with a little party with some awesome members on Friday, and it was way fun. Long live this Dutch holiday!

Sunday we were back in beloved Leeuwarden! We are seeing people progressing and truly taking the gospel seriously, which is a huge blessing.

Have a great week everyone!

Love, Sister McKinney Voss
Board games on the long train ride!
Found in Amsterdam Centraal...
Exchange with Zuster Bush!
Klompen!

No comments:

Post a Comment