Zuster Fox?

Zuster Fox?

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Truth and Obedience = Freedom

Belated Father's Day shoutout to the best dad in the world. I am so grateful for my wonderful Dad, his incredible example and enduring love and support. he makes this blog possible :) But more than that, he is a true friend to his children. I am thankful for an earthly father who emulates the example of our Heavenly Father!
Dad and I

This has been a thrilling yet chilly week. The biggest news is that due to changes they are making to the MTC Dutch language program, there will be one shortened transfer in the mission in November. That means that everyone going home after that point will be returning home one week earlier than planned. So that means that instead of my mission ending in early February, it will now be the end of January! It's crazy, because it feels like time has been flying by already. How is it possible that I only have seven months left on my mission?

But we won't think about that inevitable end. Right now, I'm grateful to be here, and I will live in the moment. It's been a great week! I went on exchanges to Zoetermeer and got to work with Sisters Lemich and Nyakoh in that charming little city. It was a delight and a change of pace! But I was also happy to return to my own dear Den Haag on Wednesday.

Wednesday was a funny day for Sister Hopkin and I. A man called out to us from his bike as we were passing by and we weren't sure whether to take him seriously or not, but we were like, why not, and ran back to give him a pass along card right before the light he was waiting at changed and he had to bike away. Then, later when we were randomly trying to help three cute Indonesian ladies find a street they were looking for (we later took a selfie with them), we heard someone calling out from a third floor balcony- it was the same guy! And he showed us the card that he had kept. Pretty random and coincidental, but he's interested in learning more, so hey- miracles!
Notice the photobombing missionary from last week.
We had a great lesson with our investigator who has been struggling with addictions. He has found strength in the scriptures and through prayer, and we also brought the elders, who were able to give him a priesthood blessing of comfort and counsel. It was a powerful experience for him- I'm so grateful for the priesthood, that God's power and authority have been restored to the earth in order to bless His children. I know that it does! It has blessed my life.

A couple of weeks ago we talked to a really cute old Surinaams lady on the street. We met with her once and she invited us over for dinner, so on Friday we had a delicious Surinamese meal of roti- it is so good. It's a special potato bread with a curry stew sauce thing. I can't describe it, but I could eat it for days. Also she was really sweet, decided that we are her adopted grandaughters and loved the Book of Mormon we brought her and is excited to read it. So that's what I call a win-win situation!

I briefly saw Sister Dobler and many other awesome missionaries at a baptism we attended in Rotterdam for someone that Sister Hopkin taught in Dordrecht. That was thus a wonderful and uplifting experience!

This weekend was also Stake Conference for the Den Haag stake! We took a chartered tour bus there and it was full of excellent instruction and uplifting messages.
Selfie with sisters Hopkin, Huber and Dobler!
On Sunday afternoon we had the opportunity to walk through Zuiderpark, very close by, and discovered some beautiful areas. It was very peaceful and a nice way to build a relationship with/support an awesome member here!
Discovering beautiful ZuiderPark with Michelle 


My studies this week have been focused on a cool concept- that truth and obedience are a source of spiritual freedom and strength! See Helaman 14:30, 15:8, and John 8:32. The truth, and knowledge, will set us free. The more we learn, the better decisions we can make, our understanding is enlightened. As we follow Christ's example and are obedient, we are also freed from the burden of sin. I have never felt so free and happy as when I have lived my life with discipline and looked forward with faith. I am convinced that the more acquainted we are with gospel truth and knowledge of our Redeemer, the better prepared we will be to conquer any challenges that come our way!

I love you all so much and miss you! have an incredible week everyone!

All my love,
Sister McKinney Voss
I saw a Spirit Animals poster in the Netherlands!!!! Tell Brandon Mull that it's well advertised here and one of his big fans appreciates his work here. It's even translated in Dutch. So cool right?

No comments:

Post a Comment